Welcome to a brand new year! It’s the beginning of yet another phase in life. But, this year is different. This year, you’re starting it off right. You’ve gone through substance abuse treatment and you’ve found your way to a life that is free from alcoholism and drug abuse. That’s an amazing accomplishment! And the very best way to celebrate your success in overcoming addiction is to continue your journey to recovery. It’s important that you keep fighting addiction and working to avoid relapse in your life. It can be hard to stay on track throughout the holiday season and into the new year. But, with the right routines and practices, you can remain steady and grounded as you walk through this newfound life of freedom. We’ve got 10 tips for you to use as you begin this new year. With a little support and some accountability, you will find that remaining on track is far from impossible!
The Challenges of Fighting Addiction Relapse
People who are working to remain free from substance misuse and dependence will face a lot of new challenges. These difficulties can definitely make it hard to stay on the path to recovery. For a lot of individuals, fighting addiction relapse can be one of the hardest things to do. For others, it’s not as difficult. But, in any case, it’s absolutely important to establish boundaries and figure out the best routes of action in every situation. If you want to continue living a fulfilling life that is free from the bondage of drug or alcohol addiction, it will be very helpful for you to have some guidelines and ideas to help you avoid relapse.
Again, fighting addiction and relapse isn’t always easy. But, you can certainly move past substance dependence and enjoy your life of freedom if you keep focused on your goal. That goal, of course, is to keep the freedom you’ve worked so hard to obtain!
Tips for Staying on Track This Year
Here are 10 things you can do in order to keep going strong this year!
- Keep your eye on the prize. Remember that goal we mentioned before? Always keep it in mind. Remember the purpose behind everything you do. You’ve worked hard to get to this point and nothing should ever take that away from you. You deserve to walk in the freedom you’ve gained for the rest of your life!
- Take it one day at a time. You may make mistakes or feel down sometimes. But, it’s important to keep your head up. Recovery is a process. It doesn’t simply begin with treatment and end when your detox process is over. It’s a continual journey. Enjoy the ride and be proud of yourself!
- Surround yourself with a group of supporters. Check your circle of friends. Are they building you up and keeping you encouraged? If so, hang on to them! If not, be sure to connect with people who are there to support your journey.
- Take care of yourself. Look after your body by getting enough rest, eating well, and exercising. Take care of yourself mentally and emotionally, too. Attend therapy to deal with stress, anxiety, and depression. Always know that you are not alone.
- Find a way to remain accountable. Therapy and aftercare programs can help you to stay on track!
If you need some extra support as you begin this new year, feel free to contact us here at Diablo Valley Drug & Alcohol Services! We understand the challenges you may be facing as you navigate through this new way of life. So, we are committed to walking with you on this phase of your journey. Reach out to us today to learn how we can help you!